A Skeptical Look at Immuno-Augmentative Therapy (IAT)
Stephen Barrett, M.D.
- Burton L Carcinogenic activity of larval donor abstracts in drosophila. Ph.D. dissertation, New York University, Feb 1955.
- Green S. Immunoaugmentative therapy. An unproven cancer treatment. JAMA 270:1719-1723, 1993.
- Mitchell HK. Tumor inducing factor in Drosophila. Science 133:876, 1961.
- The Immunology Research Foundation, Inc. Information Bulletin Number 01b, undated, circulated in 1975.
- Burton L. Deposition in Louden vs. Prudential Insurance Co. of America, July 21, 1983, p. 7.
- Immu-augmentative therapy. FDA Talk Paper T82-14, March 2, 1982.
- Terry WD, Litvak J. Report to the Ministry of Health of Bahamas on the site visit to the Immunology Researching Centre, Limited, Jan. 29-31, 1978.
- Expenses. Immunology Research Centre Web site. Accessed several times during 1998 and 1999.
- The establishment vs. Dr. Burton. 60 Minutes, May 18, 1980.
- Bahamas Ca therapist drops U.S. research plan. Medical World News, Nov 24, 1980.
- Macconnell WP. Letter to Frank Rauscher, Jr. May 22, 1980.
- Barnes C. Testimony before the Subcommittee on Health and Long-Term Care of the U.S. House of Representatives Select Committee on Aging. In Pepper C and others. Quackery: A $10 Billion Scandal. Washington, D.C., 1984, U.S. Government Printing Office, 1984, pp. 37-39.
- Burton L. Deposition in Louden vs. Prudential Insurance Co. of America, July 21, 1983, pp. 10, 96-102.
- Gelband H and others. Immuno-Augmentative Therapy. In Gelband H and others. Unconventional Cancer Treatments. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1990, pp 129-147.
- Questionable methods of cancer management: Immunoaugmentative therapy (IAT). CAâ€”A Cancer Journal for Clinicians 41:357-363, 1991.
- Questions and answers for a non-technical orientation, pp. 1-2. In IAT (a looseleaf book distributed to the Florida legislature in April 1981).
- Immuno-augmentative Therapy. Undated brochure distributed in 1990.
- Zavertnik J. Immuno-augmentative therapy. In Barrett S, Cassileth BR (editors). Dubious Cancer Treatments. Tampa, FL: American Cancer Society, Florida Division, 1990.
- Letter from Bayard H. Morrison III, M.D., to Grace P. Monaco, June 7, 1984.
- Letter from Frank and Denise Wiewel to IAT patients, members and friends, July 13, 1987.
- Letter from MetPath board chairman Paul A. Brown, M.D., to Joseph J. Zavertnik, Oct 30, 1981.
- Burton L. Speech at meeting of the International Association of Cancer Victors and Friends, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, Feb 24, 1987.
- Letter from Walter W. Bond to Ronald St. John, M.D., July 5, 1985.
- Phillips T. Review and analysis of Lawrence Burton's patented processes and products. Contract report to OTA, Jan. 1989. Summarized in reference 14, above, pp 135-136.
- Curt GA, Katterhagen G, Mahaney F. Immunoaugmentative therapy. A primer on the perils of unproved treatments. JAMA 255:505-507, 1986.
- Nolen, WA. Dr. William Nolen challenges unorthodox healers. 50 Plus, November 1983, pp. 43-45, 70-71.
- Unpublished survey described in reference 14, above, pp 138-139.
- Cassileth BR and others. Report of a survival of patients receiving immunoaugmentative therapy, Sept. 1987.
- Information distributed to prospective patients in February 1989 by IAT-West included a letter from Curry Hutchinson, a copy of the Cassileth report, and a brochure: "About: Dr. Lawrence Burton and Immuno-Augmentative Therapy for Cancer."
- Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technology Assessment (DATTA): Immunoaugmentative therapy. JAMA 259:3477-3478, 1988.
- Pfeifer BL, Jonas WB. Clinical evaluation of "Immunoaugmentative Therapy (IAT)": An unconventional cancer treatment. Integrative Cancer Therapies 2:112-119, 2003.
- Immuno-Augmentative Therapy Case Histories. Undated, distributed in 1990.
- Sampson WI. Private communication to Dr. Stephen Barrett, January 1991.
- Centers for Disease Control: Cutaneous nocardiosis in cancer patients receiving immunotherapy injections - Bahamas. MMWR 33:471-477, 1984.
- Burton L. Testimony at Congressional hearing conducted by Congressman Guy V. Molinari, Jan. 15, 1986, transcript pp. 55-56.
- Curt GA. Warning on immunoaugmentative therapy. New England Journal of Medicine 311:859, 1984.
- Centers for Disease Control: Isolation of human T-lymphotropic virus type III/lymphadenopathy-associated virus from serum proteins given to cancer patients Bahamas. MMWR 34:490-491, 1985.
- St. John R. Report of trip to the Immunology Researching Centre on July 1-3, 1985.
- H.R. 7936, introduced Aug. 18, 1980, and H.R. 8341, introduced November 13, 1980.
- Wilson S. The rise and fall of Laetrile. Nutrition Forum 5:33Â-40, 1988.
- Immu-augmentative therapy. Import alert #57-04, Aug 6, 1986.
- FDA issues import alert against dangerous cancer remedy. FDA Talk Paper T86-60, Aug. 7, 1986.
- Opinion. Odenwaller vs. Aetna Life Insurance Co., U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan. File No. K86-283CA4, May 27, 1988.
- Opinion of arbitrator. Odenwaller vs. Aetna Life Insurance Co, May 14, 1987, p. 11.
- Povtak T. Alternative cancer ttreatment clinic opening in Bahamas. Asbestos.com, Sept 5, 2-18.
- About us. Immune therapy.net, accessed Sept 12, 2018.
Dernière mise à jour le 9 mars 2019.